Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Bethenny Ever After

I know I've told you I have a girl crush on Bethenny Frankel a million times now.  She is so freaking cute. I just love her. Out of all the silly reality TV nonsense I watch, I most look forward to her show. 



Bethenny Ever After
via




Adam doesn't have to admit it publicly but he loves her show as well.  I was so so so excited for her when she met Jason and she had Bryn.  

I love her show so much by itself but I am loving it a whole lot more right now because some of the issues she and Jason are having on the show Adam and I can directly relate to and it's really interesting to be the ones outside of the situation looking in on a couple with some of the same hurdles.

You will only understand what I am talking about if you watch. If you don't you can call it quits here or you can read and try to decipher what the heck I am talking about.

Boundaries with our families are a big, big, big issue around here.  It has been a serious situation.  Adam's parents and my parents opinions about their time with us vary greatly.  One set are happy to spend the time they do with us. If we choose to do something alone with Aidan or celebrate a holiday with the other family, there are no questions asked, they don't ask us to split our time they respect our the boundaries of our home and our time together as a new family trying to grow together.

The other parents, are a little different. I love them dearly and I know they mean no harm and they just want to spend time with their grand child but I think sometimes they have trouble realizing that Aidan, Adam and I are a family now and rather than trying to put us in a situation where we feel we need to please everyone,  they need to encourage us to be concerned with what makes us as a family happy.  It has gotten to the point where we cannot even tell them if we have spent time with the other family because they get upset.  People's feelings unintentionally get hurt and the situation worsens.  

Adam and I made the decision to put the boundaries out there with both sets of parents.  Some people were a little bit upset and some people totally understood because they were already on the same page with us.  For the time being the best conclusion we have come to is to truly do WHAT MAKES US HAPPY.  Both sets of parents have had the opportunity to grow a family and now we feel like it is our time.  We aren't going to make excuses for who or how we choose to spend our time.  We try our very best to be gentle with peoples feelings.  Adam has a small problem voicing these things because he is a people pleas er.  It ends up making me look like a crazy person that doesn't want anyone in our lives.  This however is not the case so we are trying to build Adam up to stick up for us when he needs to.

At the end of the day we need to do what makes us happy.   Our family is what needs to matter the most

Anyone else in the situation?  Or are we nuts?  And if you don't watch "Bethenny Ever After" you are seriously missing out.  Monday nights on Bravo. 

xoxo


2 comments:

Monica said...

Never heard of the show, but I will try it out!!! And you are not crazy!!!! Boundaries are a MUST!!! Love ya, I am glad you are my receptionist in crime:)

Katie A. said...

I've never heard of the show, but I definitely understand about the families and boundaries! We live RIGHT NEXT DOOR to my sister in law who insists on trying to stay all up in our business. We've also had MAJOR problems with my inlaws calling obsessively and stopping by all the time unannounced. My husband is not confrontational, so he has a really hard time saying something, and I try to bite my tongue but then they catch me on a bad day and I pretty much blow and I'm sure they think I'm this horrible crazy person. I guess that's life though. But everyone needs boundaries and parents need to realize once their kids are out of their house, they have a life of their own that needs living!