Monday, June 28, 2010

When You Know, You Know

If I had a dollar for every time someone said to me when Aidan was younger that he was going to be a busy boy, I'd be rich.   I think for a long time I was in denial.  I had every excuse in the book.  He's a boy.  He's got more personality than most kids.  He'll get past this stage.  This is how perfection acts.  Well I give up. My boy is BUSY.  I don't really even know if busy is the word.  The boy is in to EVERYTHING. There is not a minute in the day that if I am not watching him while he is awake he won't destroy something.  For example:  I'll go easy on ya here in the beginning...

If I fold a load of laundry and I go to put some away, he has destroyed the pile by the time I come back for more. 

If I tell him to go to the bathroom and blow his nose, by the time I get in there he has taken the roll of toilet paper and somehow managed to plug every drain in the facility. There are pieces of toilet paper all over the house for DAYS following. 

I thought Aidan really liked yogurt. For the past 6 months I have been buying him organic raspberry yogurt and he eats like three at a time. So I thought. I have recently discovered he eats one and paints on the side of the entertainment center with the other two. Do you know how long it takes to SCRAPE weeks old yogurt off of a wood entertainment center?

A few weeks ago, Adam and I decided we would tag team wash our cars.  The radio was blaring, vacuums were buzzing, Windex was flying and we were making serious progress.  We thought Aidan was sitting in the front seat behaving.  Why? Why would we think that? He had managed to somehow finagle my brothers shed key off our key hanger and stick it in my ignition.  $300 later I have a new ignition.


Aidan has seen me feed the cats and change their litter on numerous occasions.  The last time I went to change the little box I stopped when I saw someone had already cleaned it out.  Totally out of character for Adam but I thought "it could happen."  Last time I went to feed the cats, I did my usual routine and stuck my hand in the bag, felt around for the scoop and tossed some food in to the bowl. Except it wasn't food. Aidan had scooped all the cat litter and it contents in to the cat food bag.  I found myself trying to sift the cat litter out of the food with my All Clad strainer before I finally said a four letter word and just chucked it.

I let Aidan nap in our bed and I took the opportunity to cuddle up next to him while he couldn't move and just breathe him in.  Because I do love him so.  Somewhere in between me going off to dream land and Adam coming home from the Dr. Aidan managed to wake up, slither out of my bed, take the cat's water and baby powder and create the perfect paste in which he spread all over our bathroom.  It hardened.  Then he took my bronzer, which consists of small, medium and large balls in the loveliest of pink, brown and gold tones and dumped it on the new bath mat and stomped on them.  

Do you get the picture?  He's not just busy, he is the busiest.  Sometimes I think I am going to loose my mind and most days I forget to pee and my friendships are all suffering.  But don't think I'm complaining. Sure I wish it was easier but even when he is doing something wrong, when I see that sweet smile everyday and when he is calm enough to stop and hug my leg or tell me he loves me, I forget about scraping the yogurt and I really feel blessed to have this job.  It's the hardest job I'll ever love and I wouldn't change a thing about my busy boy.


2 comments:

Kate G. said...

Hahaha. I wasn't laughing at your plight, but then you threw in that picture!

Megan said...

Oh my word! That boy can get into some mischief! haha. I had to laugh...I'm sorry. But really, what little boy DOESN'T make mischief?! I can only imagine the strength it takes to raise a little boy!! And I think you're doing an EXCELLENT job and I praise you for being a stay-at-home mommy!

And I agree...that picture is priceless! The epitome of a little boy!! :0)