Sunday, April 25, 2010

I have to get on my soap box for one minute...

I read a whole lot of really great mommy blogs.  There is one in particular that I love because I kind of think of her and her husband being a little bit like Adam and I.  They were and still are stupid in love with their little girl when she was born.  I felt like Adam and I were stopping people in the streets when we had Aidan to tell them our story.   I will still read the blog because I love it. I don't think it was meant to hurt anyone's feelings or to single people out. Sometimes it just happens.

Well, this past week, she invited moms to tell their birth stories on her blog.  Sounds fun right? I was all over it.   I love talking to other moms about having Aidan.  It is the most incredible thing you could ever experience.  So, I write my birth story and get ready to post it to her blog and then I look a little closer.  She is inviting women who gave birth NATURALLY to tell their birth stories.  Oh.   So needless to say I didn't post my story because I didn't give birth naturally. 

I've been thinking about it a little bit this weekend.  Probably a little bit too much but I guess it got under my skin a little bit.  This is where I come from...

I really do admire moms that can give birth drug free.  I really do. My mom went drug free with all three of us.  I honestly don't know how she or anyone else can do it.  I think it's amazing.  I could never do it.  I tried.  I was in labor for 5 hours before they could convince me to get an epidural.  BUT just because I had an epidural doesn't make my birth story any less special than the person who didn't. I worked just as hard to grow Aidan inside me as they did and my body did as much work as theirs.  I was totally aware of everything that was going on.  Personally, if I had endured all of that pain, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the experience as much.  For those of you that haven't had children, don't believe that because you have an epidural you are pain free and clueless to what's going on.  I still felt A LOT and was aware of everything going on around me. I am not the type of person that can calm myself down mentally like that to focus on the prize and not the pain.  Every experience is different and you will never know how it's going to be until you get there. Being pregnant and giving birth was the most fun I've ever had.  The process is still painful. 

So the point is, to me, it doesn't matter how you welcomed your baby in to this world, you did it.  Growing a baby is no easy job.  You participated in a miracle.  Everyone's story is special.  Natural or not. 

I'll get down now.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I think you have every right to feel that way! With or without an epidural...you both give birth! And if you ask me...they're BOTH "natural" to me! I mean, they still come out of the same spot...therefore, I say it's "natural" either way!