Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Few Days Off and Aidan's Four Year Check Up

I took last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off to help my parents with their move, to get some things done around the house and to get in some Dr appointments.

By far the most exciting appointment was Aidan's 4 year check up! I always love to go to the Dr and see how much he has grown. Our little man weighs 46lbs and is 41 inches tall! I almost died when they said he weighed 46lbs! We think he is so skinny but he is in the 90th percentile for weight. He's apparently a little big for his height. We're going to cut back on his juice intake and see if that helps a bit. I'm not at all worried about his weight but I don't want it to become an issue so we're going to try and be pro active. He is in the 60th percentile for height. I was hoping that the percentiles would be reversed! Ha ha! My side of the family is quite tall so hopefully he will get our height! I guess only time will tell.



I was dying to ask our pediatrician what she thought about me still having Aidan is his convertible car seat. When Adam dropped him off for a field trip last week at school he noticed almost all of the kids were already in back less booster seats. Aidan is still under the weight and height requirements for his seat so I haven't moved him out of it. I just don't at all feel comfortable moving him to a backless booster. I get chills thinking about how little protection he would have God forbid we were in an accident. She totally agreed with me. Although the NC law states he does not have to be in his seat, they recommend it.  It would make my life so much easier to move him to a booster but I'm just not ready. At the same time I don't want Aidan to feel like we are treating him like a baby so I am going to probably shop for a booster with a back and a harness that can be removed when the time is right. 



Unfortunately Aidan was due for two immunizations and his flu shot. We tried to prep him a little bit before the nurse came in to administer them. I didn't want to freak him out but at the same time I didn't want him to be blindsided now that he understands what is going on.
He did great with the first two. Adam held his hands and I let him watch a funny You Tube video on my phone. The third shot must have really hurt because he almost jumped off the table and started screaming. I was immediately in tears. It never gets easy watching your child in pain. So there we were Aidan balling and clinging to me for dear life and I was trying so hard to make sure tears did not run down my cheeks.  We were such a mess! Aidan was totally wiped out after that. We consoled him with ice cream and Polka Dot Bake Shop cupcakes. After the conversation on watching his weight.  Judge me. I'll do anything to make him feel better and Adam is even worse!


Our pediatrician verified what we really already knew...he is perfect. He is above average or right on track with all of his developmental milestones.  His vision and hearing are perfect. One of the million reasons I love our pediatrician is because she is in her own practice and spends a lot of time getting to know each of us. She commended Adam and I on how well we were doing with Aidan and I felt proud of us. When we brought him to his first appointment there with her we felt like babies with a baby. We've come a long way and learnt a lot.  Most importantly that having Aidan is the greatest thing we've ever done! You are so big Bud!!!!

No comments: