Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Not Schedule-Part Three

I promised this last week and I a just now getting around to posting it. Whoops. 

When Aidan got a little bit older and he was eating real food, we had more of a schedule because we ate real meals together. Adam started working days so he would get up with him, feed him breakfast and then I would get up and we would start our day together. Adam would leave for work. Aidan and I spent a lot of time playing, meeting family or friends for shopping, lunch or whatever we had going on that day. Lunch was almost always eaten out. Mid afternoon we would wonder back to the house, most likely try to decide what I was going to make for dinner or where I was going to order dinner from. I would make Aidan's dinner, feed him. Adam would come home, we would sit down to eat, Aidan sits in high chair, plays with toys or we spend our entire meal trying to entertain him. This is actually enjoyable. That boys laugh will light up your life. We occasionally would fight over who could hold him during dinner. Many a night was spent doing all of these things with my parents at their house.
Aidan really never spent much time in his high chair.  He did however spend a lot time sitting on phone books at the table with us. That's where he was happy.

Every night after we eat, we try to go for a walk or run over to the park for a bit to burn some energy.  The worst parts of my day used to be the time before dinner and after.  Then it was home for a bath for all of us and a book or some TV time. Yup, our kid watches TV.   Judge me.

For the most part Aidan is always in bed by 9.  We are serious night owls so this is reasonable for us.  Adam and I are typically not asleep before 2am.  We've always been lucky because if we have a few nights where Aidan needs to be up past bedtime, he can get right back on track.  He sleeps now from around 9pm to 9am.  I'm not going to pretend like that's not pretty awesome. On the weekends Adam and I lay in bed waiting for him to come snuggle. 

We are lucky that our schedule works.  Like I said, it's not for everyone and honestly it's a loose schedule if one at all. But we do what works for us. Knowing what we know now about raising a child, it should be interesting to throw a new baby in to the mix.  I can imagine the only thing we will do differently is wake up a little more in the beginning? We'll see when that time comes.  In the meantime, we're just doing what works for us and that's exactly what I think you should do.

No comments: